DEADLINE: June 30, 2017
What is the purpose?
MHSPA North Star Awards recognize student journalists who have excelled as journalists, leaders and scholars. All inductees will receive a certificate of recognition. A listing of all North Star Award recipients will be published on MHSPA’s website.
How do you apply?
- Please attach transcript verification of GPA and a brief letter of recommendation from the adviser.
- Complete the form at the bottom of this page. You should complete the form for each student.
- Submit application until June 30, 2017.
What is required to be inducted?
- The publication/broadcast on which the student is a member must have active MHSPA membership.
- A student may apply for North Star Editor, North Star Journalist or Distinguished Journalist but only one of the three. See descriptions on Applicant Information Page.
- Publication/broadcast adviser or journalism teacher must make a brief written recommendation and include the student’s current position.
- Verification of GPA may include a letter from the school guidance counselor or copies of official school transcripts.
- Distinguished Journalists must have served on staff for two years (four semesters) and have at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
- North Star Journalists must have served on staff for one year (two semesters) and have at least a 3.75 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
- North Star Editors must have served on staff for two years (four semesters), have one year of editorial or other leadership position (producer, section editor, business manager) and at least have a 3.75 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale).