The Minnesota High School Press Association is pleased to offer the opportunity to recognize the contributions and excellence of a Minnesota Journalism Educator. Any student, colleague, parent or community member can nominate a journalism educator by completing the application and sending the support material. An educator may also self-nominate.
A nominee must be a journalism educator at the high school or middle school level in Minnesota during the 2008-09 school year. Teachers/advisers from all media are eligible — newspaper, magazine, yearbook, broadcast or online.
Selection criteria: Nominations should highlight the candidate’s success in these areas.
- Teaching/advising experience and ability
- Background and training as a journalism educator; personal development
- Promoting a student-centered classroom
- Relationships with students, parents, administrators and community stakeholders
- Contributions to the profession
- Commitment to fostering an appreciation for journalism in society and careers in media
- Support of the First Amendment
The nomination packet includes an application form, a résumé/vita and one to five letters of support from the nominators. Please complete the package and send to the address below. Deadline is April 17.
A panel of journalists and educators will select the winner. The announcement will be made in May.
In addition to a plaque proclaiming the educator’s achievements and recognition of excellence in journalism education, the winner will receive a package of prizes.
Take a few minutes to help recognize an outstanding journalism educator in Minnesota!