NORTH STAR AWARDS
MHSPA North Star Awards recognize student journalists, leaders and scholars. All inductees will receive a certificate of recognition.
Distinguished Journalist: Served on staff for two years (four semesters) with at least a 2.75 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
North Star Journalist: Served on staff for one year (two semesters) with at least a 3.75 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
North Star Editor: Served on staff for two years (four semesters) and held an editorial or leadership position (producer, section editor, business manager) for at least on year with at least a 3.75 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale).
GOLD MEDALLION AWARDS
MHSPA Gold Medallion Awards recognize general excellence for newspaper, yearbook, magazine, broadcast and online publications. All Minnesota high school and junior high school student journalists are eligible to enter.
JOURNALISM EDUCATOR OF THE YEAR
The Minnesota High School Press Association is pleased to offer the opportunity to recognize the contributions and excellence of a Minnesota journalism educator. Any student, colleague, parent or community member can nominate a journalism educator by completing the application and send the support material. An educator may also self-nominate.
The nominee must be a journalism educator at the high school or middle school level in Minnesota during the 2018-19 school year. Teachers/advisers from all media are eligible – online, broadcast, newspaper, magazine or yearbook.
- 2018: Rachel Steil, Stillwater Area High School
- 2016: Anna Reid, The Blake School
- 2015: Kathryn Campbell, St. Paul Academy and Summit School
- 2014: Martha Rush, Mounds View High School
- 2013: Jason Wallestad, Benilde-St. Margaret’s School
- 2012: Jeff Kocur, Hopkins High School
- 2011: Ryan McCallum, Buffalo High School
- 2010: Lori Keekley, St. Louis Park High School
- 2009: Nick Fornicoia, Eastview High School
- 2008: Laurie Hansen, Stillwater Area High School
Nominate an adviser for the 2020 Minnesota Journalism Educator of the Year here.